Welcome to Azure Storage Explorer 6 Preview 3
This is the third release of the latest Azure Storage Explorer, code-named Phoenix.
22.214.171.124 update: .vhd files are uploaded as page blobs
Here are some important things to know about version 6:Open Source
Updated Code Base
- Now being run as a full open source project.
- Full source code on CodePlex.
- Collaboration encouraged!
Updated for Microsoft Azure
- Brand-new code base (WPF/C#/.NET 4.5)
- Visual Studio 2013 solution (previously VS2010)
- Uses the Task Parallel Library (TPL) for asynchronous background operations
- InstallShield LE setup project (previous MSI projects, no longer supported by Microsoft)
- Updated user interface
- Uses latest Microsoft Azure SDKs including Storage Client for .NET v4.0
- Developer storage working again (it had stopped working in prior versions due to cloud platform changes).
- Configurable Microsoft Azure endpoints (to support China data centers).
- Support for newer cloud platform features such as CORS.
About Preview 3: Queue Support and Expanded Blob and Table Features
Preview 3 supports blob, queue, and table operations. Azure Storage Explorer 6 is now full-featured enough that we're making it the default version for download.
In Preview 1 we added blob support.:
- Create / Delete Containers
- Set Container Access Level / Generate Shared Access Signatures / Set CORS Rules
- Create / Copy / Delete Blobs
- View/Edit Block Blobs and Page Blobs
In Preview 2 we added table support and other improvements:
- Create / Delete Tables
- Create / Update / Copy / Delete Entities
- Query Entity List by up to three columns and conditions
- Filter Entity List by by max rows, search text, and other criteria
- Sort Entity List by any column, ascending or descending
- Download entities to CSV (Excel), JSON, or XML format
- The Blob List now also has a filter function
- Error messages now stack at the bottom of the screen, just as background tasks do
- A variety of UI improvements, including blob/table list view styling
In Preview 3 we added queue support and expanded on some of the earlier features:
- Create / Delete Queues
- List Queue Messages
- Pop top Queue Message / Create or Copy a Queue Message
- Added a configurable Content Type table that sets ContentType when files are uploaded to blob storage
- Improved container blob listings to include all artifacts
- Added ability to upload table entities (CSV, JSON, XML)
Since this is new software, please exercise appropriate levels of caution and don't take chances with your data
. Be sure to back-up any critical or non-replaceable cloud data.
Preview 3 doesn't know how to import account settings from earlier versions of Azure Storage Explorer or other storage tools, so you'll need to enter your storage account names and keys. By the way, it's fine to run Azure Storage Explorer 6 side-by-side with an earlier version.